Friday, December 4, 2009

Alive in Brussels

I'm HERE! Not in India, but a place on the ground. In an airport, even. It's got an internet pavillion, but no where for me to plug in my brand new camera (*cough*thankyouDr.Posluns*cough*). It's 8:00 am here, and 2:00 am in Toronto. Yo, get this. I get on the plane and we take off at 6:25 pm Toronto time. An hour later I get dinner. At 5:30 am Brussels time - and 11:30 pm Toronto time - I had breakfast. What the fuck! I was going to try and sleep, you know, do what my body wants to do, but then I was offered coffee so I said "fuckit" because it's not the time zones that need to get used to my body, it's my body that needs to get used to the time zones, you know? My body will adapt. Coffee will force evolution.

Man, right before I got inside terminal one at Pearson I had what might be considered a mild panic attack. Have you ever been to the parking lot at Pearson? As you pull in, there are a series of digital signs indicating how many spots are left in the adjacent row. There were two in ours. We immediately found it, thanks to some bright green sensor lights above the spot which inform the parker in advance whether it's empty or not. Red light if there's a car there. ANYWAY, this tripped me the fuck out and as I was walking toward the fifth floor of terminal one, my breath grew shallow and I clutched onto Graeme for dear life and for the first time I was entertaining second thoughts about the whole trip.

Crazy, eh? The panic didn't last long. Pearson is such a big lonely place, I found myself feeling... extremely small and unhelped by the high, long arching ceilings. It's the opposite of intimate there. Very isolating.

I found my dad there though and that was nice. Hi dad! Nice seeing you again!

On the plane, the in-flight song of the night/day was an instrumental version of "Last Christmas (I Gave You My Heart)" led by a KILLER easy-rock saxophone. It was so cheesy, it made me so very happy.

Luckily, I sat beside a very nice man. He's on his way to a honeymoon. He's been to Cochin, and mentioned I might be able to ride an elephant while I'm there. Um, WHAT?! I'll die of happiness. I actually will. Literally. Die.

I'm in a very open space currently at the Brussels Airport, which boasts the largest chocolate store - IN THE WORLD. Apparently. All doodie free, too. Maybe I'll go pig out on some. There are beautiful Indian women walking by, and other people too. They don't matter. But Indian women, hubba hubba. I'm dressed lookin' like the biggest shlub that ever shlubbed and these women are ADORNED with pretty everything: saris, jewellery, sandals. Ah. Wait 'til I get to the home country. Typing-with-one-hand city.

Hope everything's going well back at home. Everything is good so far here!

I pressed paste and this is what came out:

hello uit België!

2 comments:

Briana said...

AHHHHHHH IT'S HAPPENING! I wanna go on a trip... thanks for the invite.

I'm glad you met a nice man, it's always so annoying when there are gross people beside you on a plane.

I hope you get to ride an ephelant! :D

Briana

Anonymous said...

I like the bit about the chocolate

Post a Comment