Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Back in Brussels

I've been trying to figure out if I like flying. I like being in the air. And sometimes sitting in airports is nice, like in Cochin. Every variety of Indian is located in the domestic flights section of Cochin Airport. The really really dark people and the really really light people. There were these women wearing silk sarees, older women, maybe early sixties, Indian women with the lightest skin I've ever seen. Now these were precious women, it was obvious. I was totally rapt by their appearance. They looked stately, royal, and most of all, really really rich. Their skin screamed it. It's crazy! Been there less than three weeks and I'm totally affected by a culture's paradigm. It's true though. They were also wearing very ornate silks.

The whole time I was confused. I was really confused. My ticket said I'd be departing India at 8PM the 21st, and arriving in Toronto at noon on the 22nd. Me and Nitya both racked our brains at this fact. I couldn't understand it and he gave up trying so we decided to just see what would happen. But as I sat alone in the airport I couldn't help but worry about it - if it's 8PM here, it's already 9AM there, so I'm supposed to get there in three hours? Still. Don't. Get it. I had 15 rupees left so I took a chance and made an STD call to Graeme telling him I think the airplane people made a mistake, that I must be coming in at midnight. He said, "Well, I assumed you were coming in tomorrow - the 22nd." You mean, it's 9AM on December 21st? "Yes." Well. That explains everything. Okay, well, I love you good bye! My phone call cost 40 rupees. I uh um I'm sorry sir I only have 15 rupees it's all I have left is that okay? He shook his head - that means yes - and I thanked him profusely and went back to my seat.

Since I had been waiting there since 4 o'clock, I missed dinner and I was getting hungry. No more rupees though, and I wasn't quite yet willing to dip into my Visa reservoir. So I waited. I did have $15 CDN in my wallet so I figured I'd give asking the stewardess on the plane a shot to see if she'd take my funny money. She came to me and I asked. "Oh no sweetheart, we only take rupees, I'm so sorry." She bent clsoer to me. "Was there something you wanted to buy, though?" "Yes," I responded, "because I'm hungry, I haven't eaten in a while but it's okay." "Well I think I can go to the back and grab you some biscuits or something, just don't mention it." She winked. I was pretty happy. Free biscuits! Yippee!

Fifteen minutes passed and I still hadn't received my biscuits. I was even hungrier since I expected I'd be getting some sustinance. I was getting bitter. Then, one of the two stewardesses (they looked so alike it was crazy) came to my seat and said, "You're hungry? Come with me please." Hmmmmm? Okay. I had been nodding off to sleep so my eyes were kinda teary and I was generally frazzled so I stumbled up and followed her to the back. There I saw a hot ceramic dish covered in alumininum foil with a label that said "vegetarian." I knew what it was - an in-flight meal! "Shhhhh!" She said, "It'll be our little secret." And they sat me down on a little metal box, and there I sat, hidden away from everyone else and eating a hot delicious meal - because they really do make delicious in-flight meals - and I was so happy, so blessed, so fucking precious and I didn't even care. I felt so good. It really was the best. "Miss, if you could please hurry, we are landing in five minutes." I felt so good.

I'm back at Brussels now, ready to hop onto another big flight. Last night from Chennai was 10 hours sitting in the same seat and I didn't sleep well. It's alright. The worst is over. They're calling my flight over the PA! Gotta go! See you on the other side!!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment